Friday, October 2, 2009

President's Patch - October, 2009


QUILT FESTIVAL
I went to the International Quilt Festival in Houston for the first time in the fall of 2000. I drove
by myself to Houston and stayed in Spring ( north of Houston) with Cecil’s youngest daughter andher family. Driving the next morning all the way to the George Brown Convention Center fromSpring was the first hurdle.

I started at 6:30 am to miss the “heavy traffic”. HA !. All the big trucks chose 6:30 to 7:30 to get
from north Houston to south Houston! After taking a wrong exit to the downtown area , I
wondered around always turning south and east until I finally saw the “pipes” of the convention
center.I pulled into the parking lot at 7:55 and had to sit there until it opened at 10:00 am. Fortunately Ihad brought a book to read.

Needless to say, the Quilt Festival blew me away. I left that night with a block of the month
pattern to look forward to and believing that I would never equal the quilts there ... and I haven’t. But I have come closer than I thought I could.

On Sunday, August 23, 2009, the Houston Chronicle ran an article about the start of the
extraordinary “Festival of Quilts”. If nothing else, this article proses that ONE person can make
a make difference in the world. Every quilter should go to the International Quilt Festival at least once!
Juana